WHAT: Inter-Generational Virtual Couch-Talk, Theme: “African Women in leadership: Achieving an equal future in a COVID-19 world”
When: Thursday, 25th March,
TIME: 15.00hrs - 16.30hrs (GMT +3)
Who: African Union through the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate
Zoom Link: http://bit.ly/IGDTalk
- H.E Dr Monique Nsanzabaganwa the AUC Deputy Chairperson,
- H.E Amira Elfadil the Commissioner of Health, Humanitarian and Social Development,
- H.E Prof Sarah Anyang Agbor the Commissioner of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation,
- Dr Gumbonzvanda Nyaradzai the AUC Goodwill Ambassador on Ending Child Marriage,
The young women on the panel are;
- Ms Petrider Paul, out-going AUC Youth Advisory Council
- Ms Karen Ondawasi, Chairperson of the GIMAC Young Women Network and,
- Ms. Anne Mugo a youth advocate in the AUC-UNICEF End Child Marriage Campaign
Through personal life experience, professional perspectives and observational commentary, the panellists of this Intergenerational Virtual Couch Talk will dialogue on progress made and what needs to be done to achieve an equal future, as the world navigates the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftermath. The speakers, through facts, dialogue and anecdotes, will kick-start a conversation on what being a woman in leadership means in Africa, playing extraordinary roles in communities, the key issues which we must collectively tackle for a bright future, and how to mobilize and spark positive, lasting change towards gender equality.
This virtual couch talk will facilitate an intergenerational conversation between high-level women leaders and young African women. It is a part of the African Union Commission’s International Women’s Day (IWD) celebrations and builds on an ongoing youth and gender advocacy campaign called “Reimagining an Africa Without Child Marriage”, in partnership with UNICEF.
The specific objectives and key discussion themes of the intergenerational dialogue
- Explore and discuss the role of women in leadership by providing perspectives, obstacles, strategies to increase women’s participation, as well as mentorship strategies to bridge the intergenerational divide;
- Dialogue on the thematic area of ending child marriage and what an African future without child marriage looks like including defining how we get there,
- Mobilise commitment on the role of women in Africa’s COVID-19 recovery era, and how to increase the protection of women and girls against the shadow pandemic of GBV and child marriage.
Ms Nontobeko Tshabalala, AUC Youth Division Communications Lead, via E-mail: NontobekoT@africa-union.org
Ms Nyandoh Padfor, AUC Youth Division Communications Officer, via E-mail: TadforN@africa-union.org
Mr Derrick Ochuot, UNICEF Office to the AU and ECA Communications Officer, via E-mail: email@example.com
Directorate of Information and Communication | African Union Commission I E-mail: DIC@african-union.org I Website: www.au.int I Addis Ababa | Ethiopia Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram | Youtube